I originally caught this at Lifehacker, which posted from the NYT. I’ve paraphrased the list and condensed it, with explanations below.
You can’t leave the table until you finish your fruit.
Meals prepared at home, served at the table, are more appreciated and more healthful than food eaten on the run.
Breakfast, you should eat alone. Lunch, you should share with a friend. Dinner, give to your enemy.
- Don’t eat egg salad from a vending machine.
Don’t eat anything that took more energy to ship than to grow.
- I don’t understand this rule.
Never eat something that is pretending to be something else.
Don’t yuck someone’s yum.
Make and take your own lunch to work.
If you are not hungry enough to eat an apple, then you are not hungry.
Eat until your are seven-tenths full and save the other three-tenths for hunger.
- The emphasis here is to buy local, organic foods rather than imported food. It’s usually fresher and has required less chemical processing.
Eat foods in inverse proportion to how much its lobby spends to push it.
- The point is to enjoy what you eat without eating too much.
Go ho, go shiki, go mi (Japanese for five cooking methods, five colors, five flavors) for each meal.
- Key example: corn byproducts (i.e. high-fructose corn syrup).
Avoid snack foods with the “oh” sound in their names
- Go ho: Five cooking methods (i.e. steaming, simmering, grilling, sautéing, raw)
- Go shiki: Five colors
- Go mi: five flavors (i.e. sweet, sour, salty, bitter, spicy)
The law of diminishing marginal utility from economics: each additional bite is generally less satisfying than the previous bite
- Doritos, Fritos, Cheetos, Tostitos, Hostess Ho Hos
Don’t eat anything you aren’t willing to kill yourself.
- 3 bites from 5 plates/dishes is more satisfying than 15 bites from 1 dish
No second helpings, no matter how scrumptious.
When drinking tea, just drink tea.
- I suspect this is aimed at we carnivores from vegetarians.
When eating, don’t talk about other past meals, whether better or worse.
Don’t create arbitrary rules for eating if their only purpose is to help you feel in control
- Tea is not a tea bag, water, milk, and sugar. Tea is a tea bag and water.
It’s better to pay the grocer than the doctor.
- If you have to choose between eating ice cream and spending all day obsessing about eating ice cream, eat the damn ice cream.
Emphasis added to the rules I consider most important.